Who can read a Chinese newspaper or website only because of memrise?

Is there someone who learned 2000+ Chinese symbols, and can understand most of a Chinese website? Is it really that easy? If not, what are the difficulties?

Posted by jan78 8/22/12, last update 9/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • I am not there yet. I've been told you need to know 5000 Chinese characters to read a newspaper. I can read signs around the city which is cool.

Posted by MikeMcElroy 8/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • The most frequent 2500 should be enough, but that doesn´t account for figures of speech, names and sayings, of which there are quite many. We could get a course for these, too :) There is one called "Orange Newspaper Chinese", you can take it. Otherwise, don´t be disappointed. Reading newspapers in Chinese is really difficult, even for the Chinese. They use abbrevations from ancient sayings! But grasping the topic and direction of the article shouldn´t be a problem after 2000 characters. Good luck! davjd

Posted by davjd 8/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • Have you ever thought of providing short pieces at the appropriate level so that we could practice reading as opposed to just recognising isolated characters? If not, any idea where we could find such pieces on the net? Or any books we could buy?

Posted by maikezheng 8/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • @maikezheng I think I share nciku.com so much on memrise that people might suspect me to be a spammer. But, I really, really find its functions useful. I use it mostly to check definitions and learn how characters are written, but each word page also displays example sentences of varying complexity. For instance, check out the page for 后 (hou4): http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/后/1306101

Aside from the Collins dictionary examples, there's an "Example Search" portion toward the bottom that shows more complicated sentences if you want to see more.

Posted by pingKL 8/28/12 (1 year ago)
  • @pingKL that is exactly what I would also recommend, althogh I used the yellowbridge.com example section. nciku.com looks great, too though!

The problem is, there are regularly no exact translations in English for most Chinese characters. To understand, one needs to grasp the "general meaning". The only way is through seeing context, I believe.

Travel to China, it helps! :)

Posted by davjd 8/29/12 (1 year ago)
  • A website is going to (probably) be easier than a newspaper. A website focuses on a single topic, whereas a newspaper covers just about every topic you could think of (sports, leisure, news, personals, autos, comics/jokes, entertainment, etc...) picking 1 section of the paper and trying to learn the vocabulary from that would be a good goal though.

Posted by thedannywahl 9/8/12 (1 year ago)
  • Absolutely no one. Memrise is great, but you could never read a newspaper with just Memrise since it doesn't teach grammar. Also, the idea that you only need to know 2000+ characters to read a newspaper is blatant lies. You need to know the characters AND the words they combine to form AND the grammar. Words are rarely guessable if you just know the characters.

For example, here's a sentence from a Sina.com news article. 最后一场总统候选人辩论定10月22日举行,主题为外交政策。 It think it means that the last presidential debate meeting will be held on October 22, and the theme will be foreign policy. I'm a beginner.

I recognize all the characters in this sentence. However, I didn't understand their meaning in these words- 场 (measure word), 总统 (president), 候选人 (candidate), 辩论 (debate), 定 (to set), 主题 (theme), 外交政策 (foreign policy). This means I had close to zero understanding of the sentence, even though I knew all the characters.

Posted by Anoplophora 9/9/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity