Temporary Mandarin-English Reversal

As part of a database clean-up and simplifcation, we have had to temporarily reverse the order of items you see in Mandarin. Do not worry! They are being automatically flipped back as we speak. This may affect a few of your tests in the time being, for which we apologize. Please do not reverse them back yourself though, as they will then be reversed back again to be incorrect.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Posted by Adam 8/17/12, last update 9/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thanks, Adam. Do you have an estimated time for completion?

Posted by Jill348 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Most of the important items should be done within a couple hours, but as there are 120,000 words in Chinese the full reversal looks like it will take until some time Sunday morning. Unfortunately our ordering doesn't mean that all the most-used words will be reversed first, so you will probably be able to notice problems up until then.

Sorry for the disturbance.

Posted by Adam 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Would be good to hear about this in advance. Keep your customers happy? Let them schedule their time effectively?

Is a similar thing going to happen for other languages, or is this peculiar to Mandarin?

Posted by revans 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Second to what revans wrote. These are the kind of updates that I believe many of us Memrise users would like to be informed of. That way - we don't get "surprised" by what looks like errors.

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • I second jenniferhunter's point about making this update more visible. I almost began correcting some of the reversals. It was a good thing I checked this forum first.

Perhaps an email notification would be prudent?

Posted by extantpanda 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah, I tried to learn a new word, saw it was fucked up, and started correct it... then I checked the forums. I guess I will take a couple days off memrise until things are straightened out. I managed to water about 20 plants before running into a few words that glitched the test.

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • I agree. Some of the words give you the English and then you get it wrong whether you put in the pinyin or the English. Glad it is being fixed.

Posted by MikeMcElroy 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • What they said.

Posted by dmheikin 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Its frustrating when you know the answer and the system won't accept it. >:(

Posted by MikeMcElroy 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks for letting me know whats going on. I was starting to worry that Memrise had been hacked or broken. These are the greatest courses I have ever done, so I'm happy to wait for the outcome, which I'm sure can only make it ever better. Thanks to the Memrise team. 120,000 words? OMG.

Posted by Funkman 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Since we don't pay anything, I don't think we should consider ourselves as "customers" and act like we had a right to this service. Nevertheless I was worried some moderator had gone rogue and demolished the database.

So, a little notice would have been nice. But you're still doing an incredible job nonetheless.

Posted by Burnout 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ah, ok, guess I will hold off on some watering and entering new word lists until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for letting us know.

Posted by saltome 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry about the lack of pre-warning. Mandarin was not the only topic affected, but it is the largest by far. The other topics we were able to flip around in a matter of minutes, but because of the sheer size of Mandarin it is unfortunately taking much longer than expected.

Posted by Adam 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Burnout: Memrise is not an altruistic enterprise - these guys are doing this as a business enterprise. If they fail, the wonderful facilities on this site will disappear. If they don't treat their customers right, they will fail. It doesn't take a lot to pre-announce problems. Any business has to manage its customer expectations and memrise is no exception.

I don't pay money to use this site, but, like a lot of people here, I'm contributing hours of work a day to clean up and enhance one of the language dictionaries here. So I'll bitch if I want to when it's needed.

You're a customer here - it just happens that the price is currently set at zero.

Posted by revans 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • @MikeMcElroy

It doesn't accept pinyin and english because its waiting for a character.

Posted by _deleted_130407_1844_33 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Unimpressed. There are always ways of doing this sort of maintenance without affecting the users for days. And as everyone else said, you could have given some notice at the very least.

Posted by TL-TheUltimate 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • what is funny and frustrating is that when I type in the right answer, the system doesn't recognize it. But, when I type in the wrong answer, the system is quick to give me the red X.

Posted by MikeMcElroy 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Currently there are a lot of problems in Mandarin Survival, Mandarin HSK 1-3 and also my own course!!!... I hope, it's not permenant. Everything is messed-up such that I can't use system to practice (exchanged entries, answers not showing up etc.)... I love Memrise though :)...

Posted by _deleted_130109_0927_20 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi everyone,

The conversions have run and so everything should be back to normal on Mandarin. Please let me know if you see anything that continues to not function properly.

Thanks for your patience!

Eliot

Posted by eliotyork 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • What I'm experiencing is during the MC style questions (I think): I see the character in the proper place BUT where the meaning should be, I see the character again - the specific instance was a pinyin MC question.

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • in pinyin tests, the character appears twice: where it should appear and where the english definition normally apepars. see: http://i.imgur.com/Jtr7a.png

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • non-chinese words appearing in chinese tests. ex: http://i.imgur.com/AF3Ep.png

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm getting the non-chinese words appearing in the chinese tests as well.

• BTW - what does clean-up and simplification mean with regards to the Chinese wiki?

• I just took a quiz in my Mandarin course and it worked well! Judging from other comments about problems I feel pretty lucky.

Posted by dmheikin 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Big_Kahuna That should be fixed now.

@Jenniferhunter - the cleanup was that a few of the wikis were reversed from the beginning, and since then have been operating with a bit of code to reverse them back. Maintaining both ways in our programming was getting a bit costly, so we decided to reverse them back and remove this code - but Mandarin was the only sizable one that took any time.

Posted by Adam 8/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • Adding a mem in mandarin results in a page saying

'Oops Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.'

The mem is successfully added to the wiki though.

Also the input boxes for the dictionary have been swapped - this might be intentional, but it's a little counterintuitive to put the mandarin box first in my opinion, most people will be searchin in english. Not a big issue though.

Posted by Azimuth 8/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm still seeing these types of entries: in pinyin tests, the character appears twice: where it should appear and where the english definition normally apepars. see: http://i.imgur.com/Jtr7a.png

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • adamchainz - nope, it's still broken. This is what all pinyin tests look like: http://i.imgur.com/PTHtF.png. The character's english definition should appear in the top right corner as Jennifer has pointed out as well.

Azimuth - I am having the same thing happening. Mem is successfully published but I get a black and white page where the page's style and images do not appear.

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • also, some of the plants are not being watered:

刷 踢足球 问题 老虎

there may be more. I have watered these multiple times over the last few days, and gotten them correctly each time, yet they are still "desperate for water."

• @Big_Kahuna, @jenniferhunter Thanks for catching that. Can you try those pinyin tests again? They should be all sorted now. I'm afraid the "plants not being watered" is a different issue that we're looking into more broadly, so I won't have an answer for you on that immediately.

Please let me know if there is anything else that comes up.

Eliot

Posted by eliotyork 8/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • The pinyin tests are now working. Thanks for fixing it!

There are still english words appearing in the mandarin multiple choice tests, though. http://i.imgur.com/a05Nl.png

• Hi, also a few words for me refuse to stay watered, e.g.: 足,乐,尼 about 6 or 7.

Posted by laoban 8/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • I still have a few words mixed up like "东亚" (East Asia)

Posted by spetsnaz 8/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • Also "to feel anxious" is not right

Posted by spetsnaz 8/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • I fixed both of those, spetsnaz. I am guessing someone reversed them while the database whas doing backflips and then the system reversed it again.

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • There is still a problem with "着急" (to feel anxious)

Posted by polymatter 8/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • I just looked the entry up for 着急 (http://www.memrise.com/item/1774460/zhao2ji2/) the pinyin and english definition are transposed.

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • Any progress on the 'plants not being watered' issue? Currently 30-40% of my plants don't get watered each time I do a watering run, and have to be watered again repeatedly.

Posted by luminara 9/11/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity