How does the watering/growth level thing work for PinYin?

The entire user interface confuses me a bit there. My understanding is that once a word reaches growth level 7, it switches to pinyin, right? And then you probably have to get the 7 growth levels right again and then you are done I guess and the word won't show up again? But how do I know when I'm done with a word list? For example before moving on from HSK 2 to HSK 3 I'd like to be sure that I've studied all the HSK2 pinyin. Is there any kind of progress report? The mouseover in my garden doesn't even tell me if I'm studying the pinyin or the english. Oh, and what happens if I get a word wrong? Does that instantly set the word back to growth level 0 and I have to start all over?

Posted by xiaoxuesheng 8/11/12, last update 8/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'm interested too. Is there a way to make memrise ask the meanings again once a plant is level 7, or make the meanings the higher level and the pinyin the lower growth level?

Also, how does the watering schedule for the pinyin work? Does learning the pinyin reset the schedule? I've noticed once I hit the pinyin part for a lesson suddenly I'll have hundreds of wilted plants within the next couple of hours, even though the plants say I don't have to water them for weeks.

Posted by Anoplophora 8/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • nope - this is the way it works. You plant a seed, you harvest it, you get tested a couple of times on the meaning (i.e. you see the character and select/type the definition). If you answer correctly a couple of times, you are introduced to the pinyin. Then you get 2-3 tests where you select the pinyin from MC style questions. The last stage is when you have to type in the pinyin. Afterwards - you will be retested periodically - 1 week, 1 month, 2 months, to eventually 5 months. The more times you answer correctly, the greater the interval between tests. I'm not aware of any pinyin progress bar - the only way I know I'm done is when there are no more seeds to be planted. It shouldn't matter because it's not like Memrise stops testing you on the pinyin from a lower HSK level just because you are on a higher level. Imagine learning on Memrise more as a continuous action vs discrete steps or courses. When you get a word wrong - you get tested more often. The more times you get the word wrong, the more frequently you will be tested. I ignore the growth level so I can't say definitely that it doesn't reset to 0/1- but I suspect it does drop down a level (e.g. 7 -> 6) every time you get it wrong. However, you do not have to go through the seeding process again. The word is definitely in your garden.

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/11/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity