mem for jie4

which do i take seriously? to introduce or to take seriously because it's not in the dictionary as to take seriously but both ben and ed have put it down as to take seriously not to introduce (and the to take seriously definition occurs elsewhere too) but the mem or dictionary doesn't record that.

Posted by Vino 8/9/12, last update 8/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • have you read the discussion for this character 介 ? It looks like the primary meaning was changed to "to introduce". Unfortunately, the mems you see were created before the definition was changed. That's why there is a discrepancy between the current primary definition and what the mems are trying to convey.

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • the discussion doesn't explain much other than to indicate that this character has several meanings, not just to take seriously and to introduce, all of which seem unrelated. doesn't say why or how to make sense of it. that said, i'm glad that no-one "corrected" it as now i apparently have one more word that isn't in dictionary. the more the better. but wish there was a logic made clear. i suppose a man on top of his son should be taken seriously.

Posted by Vino 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • It might help to know that as a learner, 90+% of the time when you encounter this character, it will be as part of 介绍 jièshào 'to introduce'. Of course, it's also a building block for other characters, and even here I think that 'someone introducing someone else' is a more memorable image than the abstract concept of 'taking something seriously'.

Posted by Azimuth 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • @Azimuth thank you. your explanation clears up my confusion.

• If there was some way to automatically display that kind of information ('the most common usages of this character are...'), I think it would vastly improve memrise.

• i guess it could fall under extra info.....was actually thinking of sticking your explanation there but then it would fall as my mem and it's not....

• Put it in, I don't mind.

• Don't like taking credit. Plus the confusion seems to bother nobody else.

Posted by Vino 8/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • Don't worry about taking credit. There is a link for 'remix' where you take someone elses mem and make changes to it. I do that once every couple days because I see a mem I like but its wording or format annoys me. The only thing that matters is improving the site so it's easier for you and others to learn from.

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • @Big_K : this wouldn't be a remix....it'd be a copy n paste; really i was just hinting at Azimuth cos it was his logic and the props go to him....i have no probs with remixing - do it all the time - figured that's what the button was there for.

Posted by Vino 8/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • I've posted it as an 'extra info' mem.

Posted by Azimuth 8/13/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity