Sentences

• being able to create lists of sentences (not just words)

When one become more proficient in a language, it would be nice to up the stakes and put the words into sentences. I believe such a feature would help make easier, the transition from calling out single words to reading, writing and speaking the language. It could also be a step towards bringing more grammar into Memrise :)

Posted by Grizzler 8/6/12, last update 9/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • It makes for a LOT of typing.

With multi-choice it is ok though

Posted by tonyyyy 8/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • Agreed. An option for increasing the time limit might be in order, or perhaps a simple algorithm based on amount of characters or something similar.

In Spanish, which I'm currently learning, there are already some long "words" like la oficina de objetos perdidos (the lost property office).

I'm not thinking of several lines of text, but just some simple sentences similar to the example above, though perhaps a bit longer:)

Posted by Grizzler 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • sffrenchie made some sentences with a missing word (for verb conjugations) . We get to know the sentence andn not have to type more than one word. Potential here I think

Posted by tonyyyy 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • dmheikin has done a course on short stories in mandarin - so the whole story has become a course - sentences and all.

Posted by Vino 8/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • Good suggestions indeed - I have a confesion to make.

In trying to create my frist word-list I discovered that Memrise already have the capability I'm looking for built into it.

Even thought it's not commonly used, there is nothing stopping us from making "questions" with simple phrases, rather than singular words.

I stand corrected.

Posted by Grizzler 9/14/12 (2 years ago)