What about uploading licensed lists?

Hey Memrisers!

I really like memrise, and I am studying Danish -> Dutch words. But, if I know all those 400 words, I want to upload my own list. The only way I can do this is by getting a vocabulary book and typing over all those words. But I think those books are licensed. Is it allowed and safe to upload those words?

I was also thinking about the possibility to upload a kind of "private" course. A course just for your own use. Is this already possible?

Thanks! :D

Flippo

Posted by Flippo 8/5/12, last update 8/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • Words are free. Sure thing you can upload them.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'm not sure. I remember seeing something in the German topic about a couple courses being removed because they were taken from some book and the book company contacted memrise.

It's probably fine. Like Ikenai says, words are free. I wouldn't make it obvious that you took them from a book, and maybe change up the order a bit, but there are tons of lists from books.

Posted by Robodl95 8/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • I would follow Robodl95's advice - here's a description of a course that used a copyrighted list - "These 5,000 words will set you well on your way - they are the first 5,000 words by frequency, but that are not in order of frequency in this list (for copyright reasons)."

Posted by jenniferhunter 8/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • You can use whatever words you like, in whatever order. However, you can not use the copyright protected name of the source. You can create a list and call it "Words taken from Minna No Nihongo". You can't name a list "Minna No Nihongo".

I'd actually not even mention the name anyways, just to be safe.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/6/12 (1 year ago)