Audio quiz

There are a lot of difficult parts about learning languages. One that has not been addressed in any of the methods I've tried is understanding. I just returned home from a trip to Europe and spent quite a bit of time learning a couple of the languages. But even when people spoke to me with words I knew, it still took a while for me to process the word and translate it -- sometimes even with really simple things that I should have known better.

How about an option for an audio quiz? Play the audio first without the written word and have us choose -- or better yet, type, so it's not obvious in the multiple choice -- the translation.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to understand the language better when it's spoken to me the next time I go.

Posted by banai 8/3/12, last update 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • I hope Memrise can in the future do more audio.

For some audio comprehension try some of these (scroll down to 2010 and 2011 and select past papers - listening audio files; the answers are usually one word). http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gcse/languages/french/documents/ They have them in some other languages too

Posted by tonyyyy 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • I strongly support the audio quiz idea, but i am pretty sure memrise is already working on it. In fact, Ben mentioned somewhere that they will soon offer an improved audio upload feature. That would explain that uploading audio is almost impossible at the moment. And as soon as there is enough audio, it should be easy to implement an audio quiz.

In fact, English audio should be the easiest to gather and i am just waiting for the new upload feature before i start looking for native English speakers for some of my courses...

Posted by azrael42 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • Can you give me a link to that statement?

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • http://www.memrise.com/thread/932739/

ok, he says "will take a while", i didn't remember exactly. And audio upload is not impossible, but just restricted to curators. I thought it was completely impossible and interpreted that as a sign that the improved feature may be coming soon. I'll be more careful with citing promises.

Posted by azrael42 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thanks for the link.

Yes, I'm aware that curators can upload audio. However, there should be a better way to record and upload than the current solution.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/10/12 (1 year ago)