In these forums, OP can delete whole thread

You can delete your own posts, but not amend them. But if you are the original poster, the person who starts a thread, then you can still delete the original post even if others reply. And in doing so, wipe out all the posts that others have made in reply.

And it is all too easy to delete a post by accident, as there is no requirement to confirm.

Posted by revans 8/3/12, last update 8/8/12 (1 year ago)
  • Ps I have tried this with the cooperation of another user, to check whether their response disappeared too. It did.

Posted by revans 8/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • What's wrong with deleting a topic you created? I like the option.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • You like being able to delete other people's contributions? Last night I answered a question. Shortly afterwards, the thread was deleted and the guy asked the same question in another forum. Which someone else then answered. The lost response was just two lines, so no big deal. But quite a bit of thought goes into many of the answers here. Should that just be discarded on the whim of the original poster?

• IMHO, the OP should always be able to delete their own postings, whether there be replies or not.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • Of course people should be able to retract things they have said (in haste, in anger , by mistake, whatever) - but that shouldn't remove the carefully thought-through and often lengthy replies of the people responding.

I don't have an issue with someone deleting a reply, even if it makes the thread lose some coherence. Maybe the OP should be able to delete their content of their original post (since we don't have the edit facility), but - IMHO - they should not in the process discard other people's replies.

Maybe we agree to differ. I'd be interested in the views of others as well.

• Deleting a post must be allowed but the thread should stand even if it loses coherence. The problem is that a response may quote the original, directly or indirectly. i don't think the necessary work can be done automagically and I doubt if the Memrise staff will want to spend time doing manual edits.

So, on balance, the whole thread must go :(

Posted by zaphod_es 8/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • This is an interesting point, and I will see if there is something that we can do easily to make the initial post un-deletable if there are replies to it; but it feels like it is going to be a complex thing to get right, or even to agree on what the ideal behaviour is. I will look into it and think it over though,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   8/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • If it's not deletable, I won't bother to post anymore until there's an edit button. I tend to make a ton of annoying mistakes sometimes.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • Why would someone delete a long discussion thread he created himself. Does not seem to be a big issue with the present community and more important improvements in the pipe. I like the idea of a "confirm dialogue" to prevent accidents.

By the way, reordering long lists is not only unpleasant with the current fancy reordering tool, but it is also easy to accidentally delete words in the process. If you don't notice, the words are damned to an endless and purposeless life in the wiki. A confirm button (trivial to implement, or not?) would easily solve this issue until further changes come.

Posted by azrael42 8/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • We had a case where flaming ensued. With the 0% forum moderation we have here, deleting one's own thread might be the only way to stop something like that.

However, I feel I am the one who owns his written word. If I am to leave it here without the choice to revoke it, I will stop writing here. Seriously, removing the deletion without adding an edit button is ...

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/8/12 (1 year ago)
  • To repeat, no issue at all with someone deleting their own posts. But, like you, I like to feel ownership of what I write. As things stand, I could delete this thread now, and your wriitten words (in this thread) would disappear. I don't think I should be able to do that.

Of course I take your point that there should be an edit button, and I also understand that the edit button, and/or the ability to delete the original posts without at the same time deleting responses, are desirable options to go on the wishlist for when other things are working. Also understand the risk of a flame war or silly troll-like behaviour.

But, as to the principle, do you really think anyone should be able to delete posts made by their peers?

Posted by revans 8/8/12 (1 year ago)
  • We didn't really disagree from the beginning. We just approach it from different angles.

IMHO, as long as the OP doesn't have control over their own post, if they chose to remove it, so be it. If one can edit their own posts, there's no reason to remove anything written by anyone else. Removal of one's own entries has priority over the right to keep the stuff online for others who reply, though.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 8/8/12 (1 year ago)